501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
What We Do
The Jefferson Parish School's Early Childhood Program provides effective teacher-child interactions that are foundational to young children becoming life-long learners. We know that high-quality early childhood education is critical to a child’s success.
Applications can be submitted online at www.jeffersonchild.com.
Pre-K applications for the 2019 - 2020 school year are open for sites with available seats. Applications must be submitted online at www.jeffersonchild.com through the "Apply Now" button on the top of the home page. If you need support to complete a new or existing application, please go directly to the school or center where you are applying.
Guidelines for Registration for JP Schools PK4 Classes
- Child must be four (4) years old on or before September 30, 2019 to apply for a JP Schools PK4 classroom.
- Applications will be prioritized for placements in child’s elementary school district/zone.
- Bus transportation will only be provided for students within their school attendance zones.
- Only completed applications with ALL required documents will be placed in the lottery system.
- Parents may choose up to three (3) sites for possible placement in the application process.
- Title I classes may be subject to an academic screening.
- Families will receive placement or wait-listed status by E-MAIL ONLY.
- Families will be required to accept or decline placement through their online account.
Items Needed to Register Your Child
- Parent/Guardian = driver’s license, state-issued ID, or passport (current, NOT expired)
- Foster parent = DCFS papers
- Grandparent=Legal guardianship papers
- Child’s Birth Certificate (Must be clear copy of original certificate)
- Proof of Residency: One of the following and MUST match parent name on application.
- Current utility bill (gas, electric or water ONLY)
- Current legal document issued/approved by the US Office of Immigration/Naturalization showing current address
- Current lease (must have date and show name/address of apartment and name of person(s) leasing apartment)
- Current mortgage statement
- If the proof of residency document is in the name of another adult, that adult must provide dated and signed residency letter certifying that the child and parent(s) live at that address and certifying whether or not they provide support to the child and parent(s).
- Proof of Income (1 or more of the following)
- 2 consecutive check stubs for EACH ADULT ON THE APPLICATION who supports the child; stubs must be issued within 2 months of the date of the application and showing parent/adult name, pay period, hours worked, hourly rate and year-to-date income.
- An official letter signed by your employer on company letterhead stating all of the following:
- Where parent/guardian is employed
- Hourly rate of pay
- The average number of hours parent/guardian works per week
- Date employed and year-to-date income
- Dated and signed Declaration of Income for Irregular Employment Form (can be downloaded at www.jeffersonchild.com under the Registration Info tab) Form must be filled out completely.
- Letter or certificate showing current status of SNAP/Food Stamps – must include the parent and child names and valid effective dates (Certified through ___)
- A Statement from the Social Security Administration verifying that the child listed on the application is a recipient of SSI benefits, which must be accompanied by two current check stubs, for each adult in the household.
- Current foster care placement agreement from DCFS. Foster parents are NOT required to upload their income, only the DCFS foster care agreement.
- Parents who are unemployed must submit a dated and signed Statement of No Income Form (can be downloaded at www.jeffersonchild.com under the Registration Info tab); this includes stay-at-home moms & stay-at-home dads.
- Parents who are homeless must contact JPPSS Homeless Coordinator at 504-365-5331 or come to 501 Manhattan Boulevard to complete an assessment.
- Current/Updated Immunization Records (Valid State of Louisiana Universal Certificate of Immunization)
- 2018 Proof of Income (if applicable)
- Income tax forms for 2018 (W2, 1040A, or 1099) showing parent names and annual income REQUIRED for parents who are self-employed and REQUIRED for applications to Jeff Cap Birth to Five Programs
- Special Education documentation (IEP/IFSP/Evaluation only when applicable)
- For Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) applications, upload current CCAP certificate into Proof of Income upload box. A current CCAP certificate is REQUIRED and CCAP certificate must show certification dates and parent and child names
Tuition Information for PK students in JPPSS:
Free Tuition for all JPPSS preschool classes, including the academy schools, are available to children who meet age and income eligibility requirements (200% or less of the Federal Poverty Level). Classes shall be provided at no cost except for the applicable lunch cost to the child or his/her family for any child who is eligible to receive reduced price meals. Tuition will be charged for the months of August through May, for any child who does not meet eligibility requirements (200% or less of the Federal Poverty Level. Families will be required to provide Proof of Income (documentation of gross income with forms found on the PK Department’s web page) in order to determine eligibility for free tuition. Families who do not provide proof of income will be charged tuition at the highest rate on the sliding fee scale that is developed reviewed and adjusted yearly according to the Federal Poverty Level.
Families are required to submit one of the following "Proofs of Income" listed above for each parent in the household and/or adult who provides financial assistance to the family/child.
Click here to view the 2019 - 2020 Tuition Sliding Fee Scale.
Please email the PK Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (504) 349-7912 for clarification regarding eligibility determination for free tuition.
Next Steps for Site-Based Registration
Families who have accepted the Pre-K 4 lottery seats through their Jefferson Child dashboard will receive a phone call from the school secretary to complete site-based registration. Families must complete site-based registration according to the school's deadline for the child to be fully registered. Sites may ask for additional information and documentation to further ensure the child's eligibility for the program. The school will provide information regarding uniforms, parent orientation and start date for Pre-K students once site-based registration is complete.
JEFF CAP EARLY HEAD START AND HEAD START SITES
Avondale Head Start, 178 Millie Drive, Avondale, LA 70094 (504) 437-4852 Beechgrove Early Head Start, 721 Tricia Court, Westwego, LA 70067 (504) 437-4852 Causeway Head Start, 3420 N. Causeway Blvd, Suite B, Metairie, LA 70002 (504) 838-1000 Clay Street Head Start, 606 Clay Street, Kenner, LA 70062 (504) 736-8770 Creative Kidz EHS Center, 2141 Barataria Blvd, Marrero, LA 70072 (504) 341-5439 Jutland HS, 1821 Jutland Drive, Harvey, LA. 70058 (504) 349-5500 Kenner HS, 200 Decatur Street, Kenner, LA 70062 (504) 736-8770 Kids House of Learning, 711 Derbigny Street, Gretna, LA 70053 (504) 366-2933 Lapalco Head Start, 2001 Lincolnshire Drive, Marrero, LA 70072 (504) 349-5185 Terrytown Gretna Head Start, 2315 Park Place, Gretna, LA 70056 (504) 392-9890 Prime Step II Learning Center, 4820 Wabash Street, Metairie, LA 70001 (504) 780-2444
KINGSLEY HOUSE EARLY HEAD START – CHILD CARE PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM SITES
Candyland Kinder Kollege, 6206 Fourth Avenue, Marrero, LA 70072 (504) 340-4563 Carlie Care Kids, 2032 Carol Sue Avenue, Terrytown, LA 70056 (504) 391-3446 Kennedy’s Child Care, 715 Franklin Street, Gretna, LA 70053 (504) 309-8671 Spring Ridge Academy, 520 Jackson Street, Kenner, LA 70062 (504) 465-8330 Weatherford Academy, 613 4th Street, Westwego, LA 70094 (504) 267-3080 Woodmere Learning Center, 2066 Paxton Street, Harvey, LA 70058 (504) 348-4668
For more info visit: www.jeffersonchild.com or www.jpschools.org