Displaced Due to Hurricane Ida?

  • As a family, you may be experiencing a difficult time as a result of Hurricane Ida's devastation. We would like to provide your child with a quality education and support your family as you navigate through this tough time. If you are temporarily displaced, double-housed, living with relatives or in a shelter, we are here to help you. Please complete the brief survey below. We will respond to you with information regarding student registration and share resources that may be available. This page also includes information about the registration process for students displaced due to Hurricane Ida.  

    Displaced Student Registration Support Survey

    Students displaced by Hurricane Ida qualify for homeless status if they are sharing housing with other persons, including those who are doubled-up with family members or are living in shelters, motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of adequate accommodations. Students who qualify for homeless status may be eligible for benefits and protections such as free meals, uniform assistance, and other educational supports. Learn more about how JP Schools identifies and supports homeless children and youth

    How do I register?

    Our registration process is handled online. If your child attended school in a district that used JCampus, your child will already have information in JCampus. Search using your child’s SIDNO and/or name. If your child did not attend a school that used JCampus, don’t worry, you will be able to register by uploading documents. Don’t have access to a computer? You can make an appointment with the school for assistance, and you will have time to gather your documents.

    What do I need to register?

    Required documents: Don’t have the required documents? You can make an appointment with the school for assistance, and you will have time to gather your documents.

    1. Birth Certificate
    2. Two (2) Proofs of Residence
      1. License
      2. Utility bill (Entergy, Atmos)
      3. Insurance Bill
      4. Lease/Act of Sale
    3. Current Louisiana Immunization Document


    Will I need anything else to register?

    You will need your child’s last report card. If you need help, you can ask the school to request records from the school.

    • What if my child was homeschooled?
      • Depending on your child’s grade level, they may need to take aproficiency test. Your child’s principal will be able to assist.


    What if I have missing documents?

    As a family displaced due to Hurricane Ida, we will assist you with getting important information. There will not be a delay in your child starting school. Representatives from our McKinney-Vento department can assist you. If you have questions, please contact shannon.mott@jpschools.org or Charles.Dobbins@jpschools.org.

    Any other important information?

    Don’t forget to inform the secretary if your child has an IEP (Special Education Services) or an IAP (504 Services).

    What if I’m homeless and living with an adult that is not my legal guardian or alone without an adult?

    Don’t worry we can still get you registered for school. You will be asked to complete the caregiver authorization form and a copy of the adult that the student is living with DL or State ID.

    What if I still need help?

    Don’t worry, we are here to help. You may call 504-365-5331 or come to the administration building (501 Manhattan Blvd. Harvey, LA 70058).

Children & Youth Homelessness

  • Children and youth experiencing homelessness or foster-care will be immediately enrolled in school as per McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act and Fostering Connection Act,

    1. even if lacking paperwork normally required for enrollment; or
    2. even if having missed application or enrollment deadlines (for attendance zone schools) during any period of homelessness or foster care placement.

    For additional support, contact JP Schools’ Homeless Youth Technician: Karen.Johnson@jpschools.org