Jefferson Virtual High SchoolGrades 9-12
Jefferson Virtual High School will provide families with a flexible, individualized educational experience, both in terms of course options and personalized instruction by certified teachers, utilizing high-quality state approved curriculum through a virtual learning approach.
- Application Window: May 6 - 16, 2021
- Families Notified: Mid-June
- First day of school: August 9, 2021
- Teachers will use both online educational materials and student interaction with traditional classroom methods.
- Students will learn virtually and the teacher will teach virtually.
- This model requires the virtual presence and engagement of both teacher and student, with some elements of student control over time, place, path, or pace (self-guided).
- This model is not a software program where students complete work at their own pace.
As this would be a standalone virtual school, students would be assigned to the virtual school as their home school. They would not be able to participate in athletics or extra-curricular activities at other schools in the district.
Time Allocation for Teacher-Guided Learning/Self-Guided Learning
As students become more self-disciplined and acclimated to self-paced learning, the time allocation for learning will shift. This shift will likely begin to occur in late 9th grade and continuously shift through the high school courses.
- Students will have an embedded learning management system which will provide the student and parent easy access to track attendance, progress, and assignments
- Students will be assigned two morning classes, intermission/lunch, and two afternoon classes
- Students will be provided standard courses for both graduation pathways
- Students will be provided Dual Enrollment opportunities
- Students will be provided opportunities for honors courses, if qualified
- Students will be provided synchronous activities to reinforce lessons with transition time for assignments,
group work, and interventions
- Students must provide their own transportation to the designated campus to complete in-person state mandated assessments, e.g. Benchmarks, LEAP 2025, ELPT, WorkKeys, ACT, etc.
- Students must attend class daily during the regular school day
- Students must follow the adopted academic calendar of Jefferson Parish Schools
- Students must have reliable at-home internet service