Updated May 21, 2021
On May 12, the CDC signed off on the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authorization to make everyone aged 12 and over eligible to receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. This is great news for our district as it will provide protection for more of our students. The broad participation in vaccinations will reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission and help return our schools and community to a sense of normalcy. We believe strongly in the efficacy of the vaccine and encourage everyone who is eligible to receive it.
Leadership from the Louisiana Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics and Louisiana Department of Health have released a public letter urging parents and caregivers to protect their eligible children against COVID-19 with the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. The letter highlights that vaccines are the best way for this age group to safely return to school and to summer activities like camp, and vital for the protection of families.
We encourage our employees and families to speak to their doctor and pursue scheduling the COVID-19 vaccine on their own. Below are some resources to schedule the vaccination. Please note these opportunities are updated on a rolling basis and may fill up quickly based on vaccine supplies.
- VaccineFinder: Search for locations administering vaccinations
- Louisiana Department of Health: Lists locations administering vaccinations
- Jefferson Parish Government: Lists opportunities to receive vaccinations
- Ochsner: Sign in or create a MyOchsner account to view and schedule available vaccination appointments
- LCMC: Create a free LCMC account to view and schedule a vaccination appointment at the New Orleans Convention Center.
- CVS Pharmacy: View and schedule available vaccination appointments
- Walgreens Pharmacy: View and schedule available vaccination appointments
- Walmart Pharmacy: View and schedule available vaccination appointments online or call 1-833-886-0023 to schedule.
- Sam's Club Pharmacy: Create a free guest account to view and schedule vaccines or call 504-263-8919 extension 0 to make an appointment at the Sam's Club in Harvey
For more information on the COVID-19 vaccine and eligibility, please see this guidance from the Louisiana Department of Health. For more information on the approval process for 12-15 year old eligibility, see this press release from the FDA.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I receive the vaccine, will I still have to follow our Start Strong Jefferson protocols?
Yes. Whether or not you receive the vaccine, we will continue to follow our Start Strong Jefferson protocols - such as mask wearing, frequent handwashing, and social distancing - to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and keep one another safe.
What is the quarantine protocol for vaccinated individuals?
Fully vaccinated individuals identified as a close contact with a COVID-19 positive or presumed positive case, and have no COVID-19 symptoms, DO NOT quarantine. Fully vaccinated individuals who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms must follow the protocol for persons Exhibiting Symptoms of COVID-19, be isolated from others and referred for COVID-19 testing.
A person is considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 when it has been equal or greater than 2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose vaccine series (Pfizer or Moderna) or equal or greater than 2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson). The individual must be able to submit proof of vaccination in the form of a valid vaccination card or LINKS immunization record.
Vaccination Poster Contest
To encourage eligible students and employees to get their COVID-19 vaccine, JP Schools hosted a district-wide high school Vaccine Poster Competition. One winner from each participating high school was selected from more than 94 student entries. View the winning designs below.